Weekly Roundup: October 4-9, 2011
Here are some of the upcoming Civil War events this week:
- October 3rd-4th: Harpers Ferry, WV, “Eyes of the Army: The Cavalry Factor," at the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.
- October 3rd-4th: Fort Donalson, TN, “The Gathering of Hosts," at the Fort Donelson National Battlefield.
- October 3rd-4th: Murfreesboro, TN, “Fighting for Home and Hearth," at the Stones River National Battlefield in Murfreesboro.
- October 4th @1pm: Arlington, VA, “Construction of Civil War Forts," at Fort Marcy.
- October 4th @ 7pm: Boalsburg, PA, “Fort Sumter: First Blood in South Carolina” at Pennsylvania Military Museum.
- October 4th @ 7pm: Batavia, NY, "In the Full Strength of Manhood: The Soldier's Death in the American Civil War" at Genesee Community College - T102 of the Batavia Campus
- October 6th @ 7pm: Coeur d'Alene, ID, Pulitzer Prize-winning American Civil War historian James McPherson will be the speaker at the Idaho Humanities Council’s Distinguished Humanities Lecture and Dinner @ The Coeur d’Alene Resort
- Through October 7th: University Park, PA, “Home Front to Battlefront: Celebrating the Civil War Legacy,” on display at the Eberly Special Collections Library (Penn State University).
- October 6th-7th: Cookeville, TN, “Civil War on the Borderland," at Tennessee Tech University.
- October 8th @ 1-3pm: Fort Pickens, FL, Commemoration of the Battle of Santa Rosa Island. Events include: Musical selections from the Civil War era, performed by the Santa Rosa Strings Student Orchestra and Pensacola Home School Band; presentations about the Battle of Santa Rosa Island by the seashore’s historian David Ogden; and the causes and aftermath of the Civil War by Robert K. Sutton, chief historian of the National Park Service.
- October 8th @ 1-4pm: Romeo, MI Romeo Cemetery Walk.
- October 8th @ 7pm: Staunton, VA, “Showdown in Virginia: The 1861 Convention and the State of the Union," at Francis Auditorium, Mary Baldwin College.
- October 8th-9th: Boston, MA, “Teaching the Civil War,” at the Regional Teacher Institute.
- October 8th-9th: Bland County, VA, “Bland County Festival of Leaves,” and the Virginia Civil War 150 HistoryMobile at the Bland County Fairgrounds.
- October 9th @12pm: Richmond, VA, “Capt. Sally Tompkins and Robertson Hospital," at the Museum of the Confederacy.
- October 9th: Lynchburg, VA "Sunset at Sandusky," at Historic Sandusky.
- October 9th: Sulphur Springs, AR, “150th Anniversary of the Second Arkansas Battalion Muster,” White Sulphur Springs Confederate Cemetery.
Those are the highlighted events for the week. If you would like to add your event to the Weekly Roundup, please email us. And, if you are hitting the road to attend these, or other, Civil War events, we recommend you pick up The 1861 Project's newest cd From Farmers To Foot Soldiers to listen to along the way!
Laura June Davis, Blog & Social Media Editor